One of the biggest problems faced by consumers in India is receiving fake products, instead of the genuine article. Chances of receiving fake products are high while purchasing cosmetics. Not just cosmetics, but customers also face this problem while buying food articles and other FMCG goods.
Normally, we rely on the information printed on the package to know pricing, expiry date, certification details and so on. But, this is not enough to identify a fake product, as the circulation of fake products in markets is on the rise.
Sometimes, important information is not shown on the package or the given information is not true. So, it has become very difficult for consumers to identify if the products are real or fake.
While purchasing fake products, you will not lose just money, but also suffer a negative impact on health. So, you have to be really very careful, while purchasing any products.
The Department of Consumer Affairs, Government of India, and Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched a mobile app called the smart consumer. With the help of this app, you can get all the information on cosmetics and food products. This app has been developed by a by non-profit organization, GS1.
With this app, you can access the product labeling information. If you simply scan the product barcode, you get access to the product name, name and address of the importer and manufacturer, month and year of packing and manufacturing, MRP, Net Content, FSSAI license number, and consumer care details.
1. Smart Consumer app by GS1 is available both on the Google play store and the Apple app store.
2. You can find the information on the product just by scanning the barcode which is printed on the package.
3. If the barcode scanning fails, you have to enter the number written near the barcode. It is a GTIN of the product.
4. Once you scan the product, the app will show all the information on the product.
5. The information consists of the name of the manufacturer, price of the product, date of manufacture, FSSAI license and so on.
6. If you don't get to see any information on the app, then the manufacturer has not offered the information or the product is a fake.
7. In order to make sure the product is genuine, get another pack of the same product and scan it. If the proper information is shown on the app, the earlier product might be a fake.
8. You can also use this app to verify the price and contents of the product, if someone has replaced the sticker or packaging.
9. With the help of this app, you can also file a complaint on any product.
See Also: How to Avoid Downloading Fake Apps?
Not happy with a product or service? Just visit IndianMoney.com’s complaint portal IamCheated.com and post your issue. We’ll get in touch with the concerned entity and help you with the resolution. With an aim to spread awareness on fraudulent activities, we publish articles and videos on a regular basis. You can also publish reviews about companies on IamCheated.com