With the advent of technology, everything can now be done online. Gone are the days when you had to visit retail stores or other places to buy items, book tickets, pay bills and much more. Now all this can be done online from the comfort of your home, at just a click of a button. A lot of people prefer online transactions, as they are very convenient and save time.
Online shopping is very comfortable, as the products are delivered, right at your doorstep. In case you do not like the product, you can return and get a refund. Online ticket bookings are growing popular each day as tickets can be booked and cancelled from the comfort of home. While online transactions are rising rapidly, online frauds too are on the rise. Fraudsters use various techniques to cheat people and make quick money. Recently, fraudsters have come up with a trick to cheat people who seek refunds from online shopping portals or ticket booking sites. A lot of people have lost their hard earned money to these frauds.
In this blog, we will discuss how people lost money to these frauds and tips to stay protected.
1. A woman from Pune had lost Rs 84,000 while claiming a refund of Rs 107 from an online shopping portal. As she had not received refunds for the product she had returned, she called up the customer care of the online shopping portal. The customer care executive who picked up the call asked her to provide card details to receive the refund. She was even asked to provide her OTP. After providing these details she lost Rs 82,000 in a matter of minutes.
2. In another incident, a senior citizen from Delhi lost Rs 1 Lakh while cancelling his flight ticket. When he called up the customer care centre to cancel his ticket, the customer care executive gave him a mobile number and asked him to call up that number. When he called up that number, he was asked to share his card details and OTP to get the refund. After he shared all these details, Rs 1 Lakh was debited from his account.
3. A woman from Lucknow lost Rs 40,000 while claiming a refund from a ticket booking website. As she had not received a refund for the ticket cancelled, she called up the customer care number of the website. But, she did not receive a proper response. After some time, she received a call from a person who introduced himself as an agent of the ticket booking website. The woman was asked to provide her card details and OTP to get the refund. As soon as she provided the details, Rs 40,000 was debited from her bank account.
1. You must always call up the customer care number which is mentioned in the official website of the company. Do not trust the number which comes up when you search on Google.
2. Never share your card number, CVV, OTP and other personal banking details with anyone over the phone. Customer support of any company will not ask you to provide personal banking details to process the refund. Usually, customer support will ask you to provide your name, registered email Id and order Id.
3. Do not click on the suspicious links sent to you through emails and SMS.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.