It is a well known fact that five-star hotels are expensive as compared to normal hotels; as they offer better facilities than the ordinary ones. But, have you ever imagined them charging hundreds and thousands of rupees for bananas and eggs; which are sold at a very cheap rate in the open market? Shocking right? Yes, Bollywood actor-director Rahul Bose was charged a whopping Rs 442 (Including GST of Rs 67.49) for two bananas at a 5-star hotel in Chandigarh.
The actor who was at the JW Marriott Hotel in Chandigarh, ordered two bananas in room service and was in for an unpleasant surprise; when the bill arrived; as he was charged Rs 442.50 for just two bananas.
He shared this incident on Twitter through a video, which he captioned, "You have to see this to believe it. Who said fruit wasn’t harmful to your existence? Ask the wonderful folks at @JWMarriottChd #goingbananas #howtogetfitandgobroke #potassiumforkings."
In the video, he explained that he had ordered two bananas when he was working out at the gym in the hotel and when they were delivered them to his suite, he was shocked as the bill was Rs 442.50. He ended the video by saying, "They are just too good for me."
In a similar case, another person from Mumbai was charged Rs 1,700 for two boiled eggs at a Canada based 5-star hotel chain: Four Seasons Hotel. This comes down to Rs 850 for an egg.
A user named Kartik Dhar shared a bill on Twitter stating "2 eggs for Rs 1,700 at the @FourSeasons Mumbai. @RahulBose1 Bhai Aandolan karein? In the bill, there was an omelette as well, which was charged at Rs 850. The diet Coke was charged at Rs 260.
As soon as these were posted on Twitter, they went viral and many users have reacted to this.
1. Jitna gst diya gya itne me 1dozen Banana aajae.
2. In fact after gym you should have walked to buffet breakfast and get your fruit platter for free (assuming you have breakfast included in your room). But if you lazily ask them to bring the fruit in ur room they will charge you full.
3. It's not just banana..its called ullu Banana.
4. Gold plated Bananas?
5. We feel same when we buy popcorn in Multiplex.
Reactions of social media users on Kartik Dhar's post
1. Itne me 870 ande aa jaate
Pura mohalla kha leta vo bhi daba daba ke..
2. What profit? Omelet master salary in Dhaba is 3000/pm and the Sui-Chef salary in 5 stars is 60,000/pm.
3. Don’t be so ignorant. The chef who boiled your egg came from France, and it’s cooked in spring water using Himalayan pink salt. They used sanitized utensils and plates and served at your table in a impeccable http://manner.It ’s totally worth the cost. Don’t blame hotel.
Reacting to these incidents, Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said that, Five-star hotels charging an exorbitant rate for food items like bananas and eggs is ‘unfair trade practice’ and the government will seek explanations from them. He also said that the government will make rules to check such practices under the Consumer Protection Act that was recently passed by the Parliament.
Not happy with a product or service? Just visit IndianMoney.com’s complaint portal IamCheated.com and post your issue. We’ll get in touch with the concerned entity and help you with the resolution. With an aim to spread awareness on fraudulent activities, we publish articles and videos on a regular basis. You can also publish reviews about companies on IamCheated.com