Having a driving license is compulsory to drive two-wheelers or four-wheeler legally on the roads. Driving license is a legal document given by the Government of India, allowing the holder to drive various types of motor vehicles on a public road. A driving license is issued by the Regional Transport Authorities/Offices (RTA/RTO). According to the Motor Vehicle Act of 1988, no individual is allowed to drive in a public place without a driving license.
You will not be issued a permanent driving license right away. First, you will be given a learner license. After one month of issuing a learner’s license, you must have to take a driving test in front of the RTO officer to qualify to get a permanent Driving license.
Applying for a driving license online is a simple process and you must follow the steps shown to apply for a driving license online.
1. You must visit the official Sarathi website and click on "New Driving License" option. You will be redirected to the new page where you can see the instruction on the online application form. Read the instructions and download the driving license application form.
2. Fill the application form according to the instructions given on the screen and click on submit.
3. If the applicant is a minor, print out of the application form must be taken and Part D is to be filled out and signed by the parent/guardian at the nearest RTO.
4. Along with the application form, you must upload the required documents to be submitted like proof of age, proof of address, learner’s license number and so on.
5. After submitting all the documents, a web application number will be generated. You can use it for tracking the status of the application.
6. You will receive an SMS after your application is processed.
1. If you are applying for driving license offline, you must obtain the Form 4. Form 4 is the application form for motor vehicle driving license in India. You can download this form from the state transport website. You can also collect this form by visiting the nearest RTO.
2. You must completely fill this document and submit it along with other documents at the RTO, in the jurisdiction in which you live. After submitting all the documents, you must allot a slot for the Driving license test at the RTO by paying the fees.
3. You have to attend the driving license test on the specified date. After you pass the driving test, you will be given the driving license on the spot, or it will be sent to your address.
If you are attending a driving class, the driving school will help you apply for a driving license.