Today, you need a PAN card for many financial transactions like opening a savings bank account, Fixed deposit, applying for a new credit card, investing for mutual funds and so on. These things can't be done without a PAN card. If you are joining a new company, even your employer asks you to submit the PAN card. So, it is very important to have a PAN card.
Permanent Account Number or PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric number allotted by the Income Tax Department to an individual, HUF, or any company.
To get a PAN card in earlier years, you had to fill and submit the form specified by the Income Tax Department offline, along with the supporting documents like proof of identity, address, and date of birth. Now, you can apply for the PAN card online. In this blog, we will discuss how to apply for a PAN card online.
See Also: How To Apply For An Aadhaar Card Online?
1. To apply for a PAN card, you should visit the NSDL website. Once you visit that website, you will get to see the online application for PAN.
2. In this application, you have to click on "Application Type" and select the type which is applicable to you. If you are resident of India, you should click on form 49A. Form 29AA is applicable for non-resident individuals (NRIs) and foreign nationals.
3. After selecting the application type, you need to select a category. Click on the individual option from the drop down.
4. Fill the other details like name, date of birth, email address and your phone number in the application form.
5. Once you submit the application form you will receive a message which contains a token number. On the same screen, you need to click on “Continue with the PAN Application Form” button.
6. You will be taken to a new page where you will be given 3 options asking how you want to proceed with your application. The three options are:
(i) Submit digitally through e-KYC and e-sign (Paperless)
(ii) Submit scanned images through e-Sign
(iii) Forward application documents physically.
7. In the next part of the form, you need to enter personal details like Aadhaar number, parents name and so on.
8. Once you fill all the information, you should click on "Next". You will then be taken to a new page where you have to fill in other personal information like the source of income, address, contact details and so on.
9. In the next part of the form, you need to enter your area code, AO Type, and other details.
10. After providing all the details, you need to upload the supporting documents along with your photograph and signature.
11. Once the documents are submitted, you have to make payment either through demand draft or through netbanking/debit/credit card.
12. After making the payment you will get the acknowledge form with the 16 digit acknowledgment number.
13. You have to take a print out of the acknowledgment form sign it, paste your photograph and send it to the NSDL office. You must also send a photocopy of the documents uploaded by you.
PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
14. You should label the envelope as 'APPLICATION FOR PAN— N-Acknowledgement Number'.