People usually book a train ticket in advance by making the payment. But, sometimes due to last minute changes in schedule, they won't be able to travel on the requisite dates. In such cases what happens to the ticket which is already booked? Will they be able to cancel the ticket and get a refund? Yes, Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) provides the facility of train ticket cancellation. You will be allowed to cancel your train ticket anytime before the train chart is prepared.
Be it the ticket purchased from the counter or an e-ticket, you will be charged a cancellation fee for canceling the train tickets and this fee depends on the respective classes. Once the train ticket is successfully canceled, the amount will be credited to your source account/wallet which you have used while booking the tickets. The amount will be credited only after deducting the cancellation fees.
Now the question arises. How to cancel the train ticket? In this blog, we will discuss how to cancel a train ticket, online.
See Also: How To Get A Duplicate Train Ticket?
Here are the steps which you need to follow to cancel your train ticket online.
1. In order to cancel your train ticket, you must first visit IRCTC website: irctc.co.in.
2. After you visit the website, you need to login with your IRCTC login id and password.
3. Once you login to your account, you must navigate to ‘My Account’ - ‘My Transactions’ and click on ‘Booked Ticket History’.
4. After you click on the booked ticket history, you will be asked to select the train which has to be cancelled.
5. Once the train is selected, you need to click on ‘Cancel Ticket’.
6. You must select the passengers to be cancelled and click on ‘Cancel Ticket’.
7. In the next step, you need to confirm the cancellation by clicking on OK.
IRCTC also allows partial cancellation of ticket. That means users can select only those passengers whose tickets have to be cancelled. According to IRCTC, in case of partial cancellation, the passenger is required to get a fresh printout of the ERS for the passengers who are continuing their journey and if the train ticket is partially cancelled, a fresh Electronic Reservation Slip (ERS) needs to be carried by the passenger.
1. If you cancel the confirmed ticket more than 48 hours prior to scheduled departure of the train, you will be charged cancellation charges of Rs 240 for AC first class or executive class, Rs 200 for AC 2 tier or first class, Rs 180 for AC 3 Tier or AC chair car or AC 3 economy, Rs 120 for sleeper class and Rs 60 for second class. These charges are per passenger.
2. If you cancel the confirmed ticket between 12 to 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, the cancellation fees charged are 25% of the train fare subject to the minimum flat rate as mentioned above.
3. Less than 12 hours and up to four hours before the departure of the train or up to the preparation of chart whichever is earlier, 50% of the train fare is charged subject to the minimum cancellation charges.
4. You will not be provided any refunds for the cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.