Banks and cyber experts advise people to change ATM PIN once every 3 months for security purposes. Unfortunately, not everyone takes this seriously. Many believe it is safe even if the ATM PIN is not changed as the physical card is required to carry out any transactions. To be on the safer side, it’s advisable to change ATM PIN regularly. You must avoid keeping easy numbers like "1111" or "1234" as your ATM PIN.
Changing ATM PIN is very simple. You can change the PIN by visiting the nearest ATM. In this blog, we will discuss how to change ATM PIN.
These are the steps that must be followed to change ATM PIN.
1. Visit the nearest ATM center and insert your debit card.
2. Once the card is inserted or swiped, you must select the language from the screen.
3. After selecting the language, you must enter your current ATM or debit card PIN.
4. After entering the ATM PIN, various options are displayed on the screen. You must select the PIN change option.
5. Once you opt for PIN change, you will be asked to enter the new PIN.
6. On the new screen, you will be asked to re-enter your new PIN.
7. If the PIN re-entered by you matches the initial one, you will receive a message on the screen saying "Your PIN has been changed successfully".
1. Do not write down the ATM PIN anywhere, even on the back of your debit card. Make sure you memorize your PIN number.
2. Make sure nobody is looking over your shoulder while entering the PIN when carrying out transactions.
3. Change your ATM PIN regularly (At least once in 3 months).
4. Do not take the help of strangers while using the ATM.
5. Keep your credit card in a safe place, just like you take care of your cash and cheque book.
6. Never share your ATM PIN with anyone, even an executive calling from your bank. One thing you must always keep in mind is banks never call asking for ATM PIN or any other personal banking information.
7. Do not disclose your PIN number to the shop assistants even if you visit that shop regularly. Instead, you must enter the PIN yourself. Do not allow them take your card to another room.
8. Subscribe for SMS alerts to get alerts on all the transactions done with your debit card. This will help you know if there are any fraudulent transactions.
9. Make sure to check your bank account statement regularly. If you find any transactions which are not done by you, report them to the bank immediately.
10. Avoid keeping the same PIN for all the ATM cards. At least, other cards will be safe if one gets compromised.
See Also: Top 6 ATM Safety Tips
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal Iamcheated.com.