Home > Blog > How To Complain Against Your Insurer?

How To Complain Against Your Insurer?

IamCheated.com Research Team | March 13, 2018  3:36:pm

Do you feel the insurer is neglecting your needs? Do you find the insurer is not processing a proposal, servicing an insurance plan or processing your claim?

You can register a complaint against both a life insurer or a general insurer.

1. You must first write to the insurer

You must submit a written complaint with supporting evidence (documents), to the insurers grievance Redressal officer.

You will find the contact details on the policy document and the website of the insurer.

2. The insurer has a time frame to attend to complaints

The insurer has to address your complaint within 15 days of receiving it. If you not happy with the response from the insurer, lodge a complaint with IRDA.

3. You must contact IRDA

Insurance regulatory and development authority popularly called IRDA, is the regulatory body of insurance in India.

You can approach either the grievance redressal cell of the consumer affairs department of IRDA, call 155255 (or) 1800 4254 732 or even fill up the complaint registration form on the IRDA website.

Complaints registered with IRDA are forwarded to the insurer, so that you (policyholder) can get a suitable response within the stipulated time.

4. Monitor your complaint through IGMS

Use the Integrated Grievance Management System of IRDA popularly called IGMS, to register and monitor your complaint at igms.irda.gov.in.

Fill up the details and get your complaint registered. You will be allotted a token reference number.

5. Approach the Ombudsman or the Civil Court

If you are not satisfied with the IGMS, you may approach the insurance ombudsman or file a complaint in a civil court against the insurer.

Do note these points:

  • Before you approach IRDA, you have to lodge a complaint with the respective insurer.

  • The Integrated Grievance Management System allows you to even amend your complaint, midway.

Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint.