Home > Blog > How To File A Complaint With NBFC Ombudsman?

How To File A Complaint With NBFC Ombudsman?

IamCheated.com Research Team | December 13, 2018  7:03:pm

Just like the banking and insurance ombudsman, there is also an ombudsman for non-banking financial companies (NBFCs). NBFC ombudsman scheme was set up by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), to address the complaints against NBFCs registered with the RBI. If you are facing any deficiency in the services provided by the NBFCs, you can take up the issue with NBFC ombudsman. You will not be charged for getting the issue resolved.

The Ombudsman Scheme covers all deposit-taking NBFCs and the offices of the NBFC Ombudsmen will function at only four metro centres (Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, and New Delhi). The complaints will be handled by these centers in the respective zones and it covers the entire country.

Before we discuss how to file a complaint with NBFC ombudsman lets understand what NBFC is.

What is NBFC?

Non-banking financial company (NBFC) is a company registered under the Companies Act, 1956, which is engaged in the business of loans and advances, shares, stocks, bonds, debentures, securities, leasing, hire-purchase, insurance, or chit business.

Example for NBFC in India:  LIC Housing Finance Ltd, Bajaj Finserv and Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd.

Complaints that can be filed with the NBFC ombudsman:

1. Non-payment of interest on deposits

2. Extreme delay in the payment of interest on deposits

3. Non-adherence to the RBI directives

4. Non-payment or extreme delay in the repayment of deposits

5. Non-presentation or excessive delay in the presentation of post-dated cheques.

6. Imposing charges without informing the customer.

See Also: How to avoid Online Shopping Fraud: Review by IndianMoney

How to file a complaint with NBFC ombudsman?

Before approaching the ombudsman, you must register complaint with the respective NBFC. If your complaint is not resolved by the NBFC within 30 days or if you are not happy with the reply received from them, you can approach the ombudsman. The complaint should be filed with ombudsman within one year from the date of receiving the reply from the respective NBFC.

You are free to take up the issue with the redressal authorities such as Consumer forum, Court or Company Law Board. But as per the rules, before approaching the ombudsman, you must not approach the consumer court or the company law board on the same matter.

Filing a complaint with NBFC ombudsman is completely free and you don't have to avail the services of a lawyer to file the complaint. To file a complaint with the NBFC ombudsman, all you have to do is fill the complaint form and sent it to the respective ombudsman office. Your complaint should include the nature and amount of the monetary loss caused and the relief sought.

Address and Area of Operation of NBFC Ombudsman

1. Chennai


C/o Reserve Bank of India

Fort Glacis,

Chennai 600 001

Email: nbfcochennai@rbi.org.i

Area of Operation

Tamil Nadu, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Kerala, Union Territory of Lakshadweep and Union Territory of Puducherry.

2. Mumbai


C/o Reserve Bank of India

RBI Byculla Office Building

Opp. Mumbai Central Railway Station

Byculla, Mumbai-400 008

Email: nbfcomumbai@rbi.org.in

Area of Operation

Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Union Territories of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu.

3. New Delhi


C/o Reserve Bank of India

Sansad Marg

New Delhi -110001

Email: nbfconewdelhi@rbi.org.in

Area of Operation

Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Punjab, Union Territory of Chandigarh Himachal Pradesh, and Rajasthan and State of Jammu and Kashmir.



C/o Reserve Bank of India

15, Netaji Subhash Road

Kolkata-700 001

See Also: How to File a Consumer Complaint Online?

Area of Operation

West Bengal, Sikkim, Odisha, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, Bihar and Jharkhand.

Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal IamCheated.com can help resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on IndianMoney review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.