A cheque is one of the traditional ways of making payments. Even though India is fast moving towards becoming a digital economy, many people still rely on cash and cheques to make payments. Filling a cheque is really simple. But, it has to be done in a proper way. If you do not fill the cheque properly, it can be misused by fraudsters. There are people who are very careless while filling cheques and this carelessness can lead to frauds. So, in this blog, we discuss how to fill a cheque.
A cheque is a printed form containing bank account details and orders the bank to pay a specified amount from account to the person whose name is written on it.
See Also: How To Avoid Cheque Fraud?
1. While issuing cheques, you must draw a double cross line on the left-top corner of the cheque and write "A/C Payee". Doing so makes sure that the amount goes directly to the bank account of the person whose name is written on the cheque, and not to anyone else.
2. You must cancel the word bearer while issuing the cheque. The word bearer on the cheque means either the person whose name is written on the cheque or the person who has the cheque can encash it. If you issue a bearer cheque it can be encashed by anyone if it’s lost. By canceling the word bearer, the cheque can be encashed only by the person whose name is mentioned on it.
3. Avoid leaving spaces between words and numbers while writing a cheque. If you commit the mistake of leaving spaces, fraudsters can alter the cheque by adding an alphabet or a number in the spaces.
4. Write the full name of a person in the cheque.
5. You must add a line after writing the name and amount in the cheque. If you leave an empty space, fraudsters can add anything after the name and amount.
See Also: How To Write A Safe Cheque?
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's consumer complaints portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit Iamcheated.com and lodge your complaint.