Home > Blog > How to transfer your vehicle from one state to another?

How to transfer your vehicle from one state to another?

IamCheated.com Research Team | December 04, 2019  12:28:pm

According to the law, it is mandatory to register each vehicle with a Government authority. When you register your vehicle; there will be ownership established between the individual and the vehicle. Registering the vehicle proves the ownership of the vehicle. The vehicle registration is done by the Regional Transport Office (RTO).

As per the Motor Vehicle Act, there are some cases where a vehicle needs to be re-registered. One such case is when you move from one state to another and want to use the vehicle for more than a year after this. When you want to transfer your vehicle from one state to another, you must re-register your vehicle in the new state. In this blog, we will discuss the process involved in re-registering the vehicle while crossing the state borders.

See Also: How to identify a fake Motor Insurance Policy?

How to transfer your vehicle from one state to another?

1. Get No Objection Certificate (NOC)

A No-Objection Certificate (NOC) indicates that your vehicle has no pending fines and is not involved in an accident. This certificate clarifies that the car was not stolen.

Where to obtain the NOC letter?

You can obtain a NOC letter directly from the Regional Transport Office (RTO) where your vehicle is registered or from a driving school.

In case you have availed a vehicle loan you should take the NOC from the bank

Documents required for NOC

  • A letter addressed to the Deputy Commissioner of Traffic
  • Certificate of vehicle registration
  • Insurance Papers
  • Emission test and Pollution under Control (PUC) certificate
  • Address proof
  • Driving license

2. Paying road tax

After you obtain a NOC, you are required to pay the road tax to the state you are moving to. Road tax differs from one state to another.

You must pay the tax through demand draft. After making the payment, the tax you paid in the previous state will be reimbursed. The amount will be reimbursed only if you have paid road tax for a lifetime.

Here are the documents required to be submitted for processing the road tax refund:

  • Application for road tax refund
  • ID proof
  • Address proof
  • Copy of the new registration certificate
  • Copy of the old registration certificate
  • Insurance policy with new registration number

3: Vehicle Re-Registration

After you receive the No Objection Certificate (NOC), you are required to re-register your vehicle in the RTO of the new state where you have moved to

Documents required

  • Driving licence
  • Registration Certificate
  • Address proof in new state
  • Emission certificate
  • No Objection Certificate (NOC)
  • Form 27- Application form for assigning new registration certificate to a vehicle
  • Form 33-  Form intimates regarding the change of address in the registration certificate
  • Form 20 - The application form for the registration of a vehicle

See Also: 5 Motor Insurance Terms You Must Know

Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.