Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number, issued by the Indian Government to each citizen in India. All Indian residents irrespective of age, income and gender are eligible to apply for an Aadhaar card. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is responsible for issuing Aadhaar numbers by taking a person's biometric details such as iris scan and fingerprints via fingerprint scanner, and demographic information like date of birth and address.
Nowadays, Aadhaar is required for many services like opening a new bank account, investing in mutual funds and filing income tax returns (ITR). Before you use Aadhaar card, it is very important to verify it. Aadhaar verification helps you make sure, your Aadhaar number is active and the details available on your Aadhaar card are valid. In case you find any discrepancy, you can contact the UIDAI for further resolution or corrections.
You can verify Aadhaar card online by submitting 12-digit unique Aadhaar number. It can be done via the UIDAI website. UIDAI is not only responsible for issuing Aadhaar card to citizens, but it also maintains details of every Aadhaar card holder in India.
1. To verify Aadhaar card online, you must first visit UIDAI's website: www.uidai.gov.in
2. After visiting the website, you need to click on "Verify Aadhaar Number" under the head "Aadhaar Services". Once you click on "Verify Aadhaar Number" you will be taken to a new page.
3. In the new page, you need to provide 12-digit Aadhaar number and the captcha code.
After providing all the relevant details, if your Aadhaar number is active, you will receive a confirmation from the website, stating your Aadhaar number is active. The website will also provide other details like gender, age, the state where you reside and last three digits of your phone number.
In case you are not able to verify Aadhaar number even after several attempts, you will receive a message from the website, saying your Aadhaar number does not exist. If you are facing this problem, you need to visit the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre along with the requisite documents.
After you visit the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre, your biometrics will be re-verified and entered into UIDAI's database again. To update biometric and other details in the Aadhaar database, you will be charged Rs 25 + GST at 18%.
1. By verifying Aadhaar card, you can ensure the Aadhaar card is original and the details are accurate.
2. If you do not verify the Aadhaar card, there are high chances of someone misusing a copy of your card.
3. Aadhaar card verification ensures the validity of the card and also makes sure, it has been issued to you.