Home > Blog > Lost your property document? Here is what you need to do

Lost your property document? Here is what you need to do

IamCheated.com Research Team | September 26, 2019  6:18:pm

Lost your property document? Here is what you need to do

Your property document is extremely important if you want to sell it or take a loan against it. In case you lose your property documents, it is very difficult to sell or take a loan against it. So, you must keep your documents safely.

Sometimes, even though you are very careful, you might end up losing your documents. This situation can be a bit worrying, but don't panic, as there is a way to get a duplicate sale deed for your property. In this blog, we will discuss the steps involved in getting your lost property documents.

See Also: Check These Documents To Avoid Property Fraud

What to do in case your property documents are lost?

1. File an FIR

In case your property document is lost, the first thing you must do is go to the nearest police station and File a First Information Report (FIR). While filing an FIR, you have to mention whether your document was lost, stolen or misplaced. It is also advisable to keep a copy of your FIR for future use.

2. Put up a notice in the newspaper

Once you are done with filing an FIR, the next step you should take is, put a notice in the newspaper. Your notice should mention that your documents have been lost and also the details of the property.  You are required to put up a notice in both English daily newspaper and regional newspaper. After publishing a notice, you have to wait for 15 days to see if anyone comes with your lost documents.

3. Avail a duplicate share certificate

You must avail a duplicate share certificate from the Resident Welfare Association (RWA), if your house is part of a housing society. To get a duplicate share certificate, you must submit an application to RWA along with the FIR and the newspaper notice. Once the application is submitted, RWA will call you for a meeting and check these documents, which is proof of lost documents. You will have to pay a fee for getting a  duplicate certificate.

4. Making it legal

You have to make an undertaking on stamp paper which mentions the details of the property, the documents which have been lost, the newspaper notice and FIR filed with the police. The documents should be attested, registered and notarized, so that they become legal.

5. Get the duplicate sale deed

As soon as you complete all the mentioned steps, you have to apply for a duplicate sale deed for your property. This can be done at the office of the registrar. For this, you need to have the text of the advertisement, the copy of the police complaint, the duplicate share certificate from the housing society and the attested undertaking. All these documents must be submitted to the registrar office. The duplicate sale deed will be issued to you after you pay the required fee.

Things to keep in mind

1. If you have kept the documents in the bank for safekeeping and they have been misplaced, the bank is liable to pay compensation.

2. In some cities, complaints can be filed online. If this service is available in your city, you can file the FIR online and save time.

3. FIR can be filed only by the property owner whose documents have been lost.

See Also: Ways In Which Property Buyer May Be Cheated

Not happy with a product or service? Just visit IndianMoney.com’s complaint portal IamCheated.com and post your issue. We’ll get in touch with the concerned entity and help you with the resolution. With an aim to spread awareness on fraudulent activities, we publish articles and videos on a regular basis. You can also publish reviews about companies on IamCheated.com